Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Online Conference Review

     I watched a presentation called The Classroom Teacher As a 21st Century Instructional Leader given by Dr. Tim Tyson.  This presentation was intended to encourage a grassroots movement led by American teachers.  Tyson claimed that the problem with American education is much deeper than just the classroom.  American students do not see the connection between what they are doing in the classroom today and having a better life tomorrow.  To correct this, teachers need to become leaders, not just in the classroom, but in the community as well.  Teachers need to lead by emphasizing to students what is important about life in this country, not just about school subjects.  It is also important for teachers to hold the media and politicians accountable and provide relevant information to the public if none is being given.  Many of the ideas given by Tyson were modeled after the Finnish education system.  Finland has skyrocketed to top two in the world in math and science after being in the middle of the pack a short time ago. It is up to teachers to change American culture and convince everyone that the future is worth investing in.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that teachers need to be leaders and involved in their communities. I spent most of my career in in one school district. My husband and I looked for a place to live (an apartment at that time) after I was hired because I wanted to live in the community where I taught. I thought that was the best way to let God work through my life and, hopefully, touch the lives of my students.

    ReplyDelete