Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Ethics

     Computer ethics is defined as, " moral guidelines that govern the use of computers, networks, and information systems," in the book Teachers Discovering Computers: Integrating Technology and Digital Media in the Classroom by Shelly, Cashman, Gunter, and Gunter.  These moral guidelines copyright laws, privacy laws, objectionable material, acceptable use policies, and many other items.  
     As a teacher it will be very important for me to observe ethics.  When dealing with my students I will need to be aware of my district's policies and actively protect my students' privacy, especially when posting things online.  I will also need to protect my students from inappropriate material, again, on the web.  When dealing with my colleagues, I will need to make sure that I am not using their materials without permission.  
     Ethics are a must.  Positives of observing ethics include safety for you and your students from inappropriate material and from laws.  Ethics also promote an atmosphere of cooperation and trust between individuals.
     The only negative to observing ethics could be that ethics can be tedious.  There are many laws and policies that you must be familiar with.  Many of them are common sense though.

1 comment:

  1. Good point! When ethics are observed, the atmosphere is usually safer.

    ReplyDelete